New Project Direction -- Audio

So, since some folks may be wondering what I'm up to, I thought I'd briefly mention it here.

I've been asked to serve as tech. lead on the project integrate the software from 4Front's Open Sound System into OpenSolaris.

Surprisingly, this task isn't quite as straight-forward as it might seem. There are a number of outstanding issues that have to be resolved before the project can integrate, and we're working frantically to get them all resolved. We've also staffed up the project enough to increase the man power significantly beyond what was associated with in the past. So we are looking to drive this project to successful conclusion soon.

I'll have news about this in the future -- watch this space. But I will say this much -- it looks like in the not-distant-future there will be the ability to use OSS APIs from userland applications on *all* Solaris systems. This includes systems with older chips not supported by 4Front today, and Sun Ray thin client systems. Stay tuned.

(The other upshot with this project is that it is taking a great deal of my time, so my participation in other forums may appear to have dropped off -- but that is only so that I can devote as much of my time to making the OSS project a success. This is the same reason that I will not be attending the OpenSolaris Developer Summit this go around.... anything that detracts from getting work done is being set aside for now.)

Comments

This sounds like good news! Perhaps it will finally be possible to do multiple concurrent streams to a Sun Ray audio device, instead of needing to invoke multiple copies of utaudio!

Popular posts from this blog

SP (nanomsg) in Pure Go

An important milestone

GNU grep - A Cautionary Tale About GPLv3